- This event has passed.
Love in Action: Religious Discrimination/Religism
November 26, 2017 @ 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
“Enlightened leadership is spiritual if we understand spirituality not as some kind of religious dogma or ideology but as the domain of awareness where we experience values like truth, goodness, beauty, love and compassion, and also intuition, creativity, insight and focused attention.”
The precise number of religions in the world is not known, but available estimates show the number to be about 4,300, according to Adherents.com. Of those, 11 are considered to be major world religions. According to brandongaille.com, communities with the most religious populations tend to be highly concentrated in specific areas. Half of the world’s population exists in just 6 nations, but religious concentrations are even tighter. In areas that are highly concentrated with religions, discrimination is present in greater numbers, but in the areas outside of those clusters, religious discrimination rates fall.
With so many different belief systems concentrated in small areas around the world, the expression of fear, hatred, or discrimination against people of a specific religion affiliation can lead to religious discrimination or treating a person negatively because of his or her spiritual beliefs.
The purpose of studying about religism is to help people to actually put into practice one of the core tenets of most religions: “Treat others as you wish to be treated.”
Readings and/or Videos
- “Behind the Veil” http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/fashion/13veil.html
- The five major world religions – John Bellaimey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6dCxo7t_aE
- The Tenth Man: https://www.cpjustice.org/public/capital_commentary/article/264
- Religious discrimination is “un-American” | Kathy Lund Dean | TEDxGustavusAdolphusCollege: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7365IO9l-tw
- Op-ed: ‘Religious Discrimination’ Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion: http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2015/03/31/op-ed-religious-discrimination-laws-have-nothing-do-religion
Readings and/or Videos, Activities or Videos for a Deeper Dive
- Facts About Religious Discrimination – https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publications/fs-religion.cfm
- Religion, Spirituality & Ethics | Tariq Ramadan | TEDxSalford: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNvbjlW6qls
- Animated map shows how religion spread around the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvFl6UBZLv4
- Protecting the Religious Freedom of All: Federal Laws Against Religious Discrimination: https://www.justice.gov/crt/combating-religious-discrimination-and-protecting-religious-freedom-10